The FIFA Women’s World Cup is officially upon us, and the United States women’s national team is once again a front-runner to win the title.
To prepare for the group stage, we’re taking a look at which members of the USWNT are driving the most impact on social media.
Unsurprisingly, Alex Morgan leads the team in engagements, thanks to her 12.9 million followers across Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Posting an average of 1.2 times per day, Morgan was able to add more than 640 thousand followers over the past year, good for a growth rate of 5.2 percent.
However, Morgan’s growth rate paled in comparison to some of her teammates. Goalkeeper Adrianna Franch and forward Jessica McDonald, two of the team’s newest members, were both able to double their following over the last 12 months with impressive growth rates of 117.6 percent and 110.2 percent, respectively.
McDonald also shared the most content over that period, posting more on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter than any other member of the team.
Now that the World Cup has kicked off, expect these numbers to increase significantly. The success of the women’s national team over the last two decades has created a passionate fan base that loves to interact with their favorite athletes — and there’s no better time for these players to build their brand than while they’re playing on the world’s biggest stage.
WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY— Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) June 7, 2019
Top USWNT athletes on social
Below is our complete analysis of the United States women’s national soccer team on social media. The report includes data for all 23 USWNT athletes, measuring the activity, audience, engagement, and growth on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram from June 10, 2018 to June 10, 2019.
Get the full report
- Alex Morgan — 12.9 million followers
- Carli Lloyd — 2.4 million followers
- Ali Krieger — 1.7 million followers
- Megan Rapinoe —1.3 million followers
- Kelley O’Hara — 1.1 million followers
- Alex Morgan — 22.8 million engagements
- Julie Ertz — 3.7 million engagements
- Christen Press — 3.3 million engagements
- Carli Lloyd — 3.2 million engagements
- Mallory Pugh — 3.1 million engagements
- Alex Morgan — 640.3 thousand followers
- Mallory Pugh — 81.4 thousand followers
- Julie Ertz — 43.9 thousand followers
- Abby Dahlkemper — 41.2 thousand followers
- Lindsey Horan —37.9 thousand followers